One, two, three o’clock, four o’clock rock…
Bill Haley penned these words to this classic song decades ago and nearly everyone, no matter how old, has heard. The lyrics are easy and the tune is upbeat and unforgettable. In fact, there’s a good chance you’re humming the tune now…sorry!
But that isn’t my point with this post. Actually, it’s a simple way to romance your spouse literally all day long. It might take a bit of planning on your part, but it won’t be that difficult once you get started.
ROCK is an acronym to help you come up with something to bless your spouse every hour on the hour for an entire day.
ROCK stands for Romantic, Overt, Cognitive, Kind. We recommend a twelve hour stretch, so if you want your surprises to last past the kids bedtimes, you’ll need to start around 11a. Or you could choose to do it when your spouse will be around the house all day to make it easier.
Next, make a list of things you could do, say or purchase to surprise your spouse on this day.
It’s best to choose a day that isn’t special because you want it to be totally unexpected. Everyone is different so what I might choose to do for Tom might not bless your spouse. Pay attention to what they’re going through right now. It might be they’re in need of some extra special treats to make a difficult day more enjoyable. It might be they would enjoy some extra affection and physical intimacy to get their mind off of a stressful situation. Whatever it is that is weighing on them, let your goal to be to help them endure with a smile on their face.
- love letters
- little gifts to express your love
- bubble bath
- breakfast in bed
- pedicure, manicure or both
Overt (def. done or shown openly; plainly or readily apparent, not secret or hidden.)
- Dedicate a song on the radio to them
- Make a CD of your favorite love songs and have it waiting in their car
- Make a sign to put on the back of their car without them knowing that says, “Inside this car is the man/woman of my dreams. I love him/her so much I wanted to tell the world!” On the hour when this gift is to be revealed send them a text or e-mail to look.
- Go to the store together and ask the management if they’d read a note over the intercom telling them how much you love them.
Cognitive (def. The process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience and the senses.)
- A music video that expresses how you feel towards your spouse, or one that will speak to their current struggle.
- Have them read an historical account of a person in history who has the same attributes as your spouse.
- Make a crossword puzzle of words using special places you’ve been together. As the hints use the dates or the occasion to see if they can remember.
- Heat the cold sheets up with a hair dryer before your spouse gets in bed.
- Make their favorite snack without them asking.
- Wash and vacuum their car for them.
- Do one of the chores they dread doing.
- Take a favorite snack and cold drink and put it in their car before they drive home from work.
- Buy them a gift card to their favorite restaurant and make plans for them to have lunch with a friend.
These ideas are only to help you get started thinking. There are so many unique ways to bless our spouse on a daily basis. The problem is life gets in the way. We must be intentional if we want to have a ROCK solid marriage marked by romance and kindness that’s expressed in overt and cognitive ways. <3