In their excellent book, Sweethearts For A Lifetime, Wayne A. and Carol Mack share the following practical helps to make Christ preeminent in our marriages:
A right relationship with God does not just happen. It is something that must be carefully cultivated, actively pursued, and stubbornly protected…it requires making an investment of time and effort.
You can do many other things to make Christ preeminent in your marriage:
- Get involved in common ministries.
- Find ways to serve the Lord together.
- Purchase and read good biblical literature that will provide food for your soul
- Listen to edifying CD’s in the car, whether it be preaching, teaching or good Christian music.
- Attend conferences that are spiritually challenging and encouraging.
- Keep a common prayer list with your mate and set aside time to pray together.
- Develop relationships with other godly people, especially couples.
Make it your aim to spend more time with godly people who will challenge you, mentor you, support you, and encourage you than with people who will merely entertain you
As Christians, we should all be involved in three kinds of relationships. We should have relationships with people who are more mature in Christ than we are so that we can learn from them. We should also have relationships with people who are on basically the same level as we are so that we are both giving and taking equally in the relationship and holding each other accountable. And we should have relationships with those who are less mature in Christ than we are so that we can serve them and help them to grow.
This is wise counsel and by God’s grace something we have practiced for most of our marriage. The benefits have been incalculable and the relationships rich and rewarding. So, who are your three primary relationships? You may have more than one in each category, but you should have at least one. Husbands, it is our primary responsibility to lead in this area. Please don’t delegate this to your wife to pursue. I challenge you to begin right away in order to establish your commitment to become sweethearts for a lifetime!
Posted by Tom
NOTE: Be sure to join us tomorrow as we continue our Alphabet Date Ideas – tomorrow we’ll explore the letter “E”!