School has started and what a great distraction this can be for romance. For those with school-aged children there are lessons to plan, homework to check, lunches to pack and calendars to schedule. It can be exhausting going from one day to the next, and when Saturday is finally here – all you can think of is what still needs to be done.
May we encourage you to put your spouse at the TOP of your to-do list. There will be a day in the not-too-distant-future, when all this busyness will be over. It brings tears to your eyes thinking of it, because we love our children so much – and we should! But…our spouses are ours “until death do us part!” What are you doing today that will enrich your relationship in the years to come?
Here are some ideas to help you:
- Remember often how you felt about them when you were first married. Our first love should never diminish only strengthen as the years pass.
- Pray for the years to come – that God would help you grow into the person He desires you to be. If you’re purposing to grow in godliness this will consequently strengthen your relationship.
- Whisper compliments to your spouse when they least expect it – like while your wife is loading the washing machine for the fourth time or when your husband is pumping gas with a car full of children.
- Come up with a secret way to communicate your love to each other across a crowded room or even a noisy kitchen.
- Purpose to laugh every day. If you find something funny on the internet, send it to your spouse to make them smile!
- Admire your spouse often. Think of the ways they inspire you, and meditate on them. This will cause your love to grow and deepen. Make sure you communicate these thoughts in meaningful ways.
School is in session for you as well. You are enrolled in school to study your spouse everyday. It’s certain this is a class you want to pass with flying colors!