I had the privilege of attending a meeting yesterday for the men of our local church.
One session was titled, “The Protection of Intoxicating Love,” and it was so practical I had to take the time to share it with you. It starts with two excellent quotes – one from the Bible and one by Eugene Peterson from, “The Message.”
“Let your fountain be blessed, and rejoice in the wife of your youth, a lovely deer, a graceful doe. Let her breasts fill you at all times with delight; be intoxicated always in her love.” Proverbs 5:18-19
“Enjoy the wife you married as a young man! Lovely as an angel, beautiful as a rose – don’t ever quit taking delight in her body. Never take her love for granted!”
These quotes were followed with 10 practical applications given by one of our pastors, Aron Osbourne. I pray you will be surprised by how many of these you already practice, and be challenged with the ones you may have never considered. Guaranteed, a husband who pursues his wife in this way will reap lasting benefit!
- Have a regular date night together.
- Pursue her emotionally, spiritually and sexually.
- Write her notes and/or call her during the day.
- Be her biggest encourager.
- Express physical affection outside of it leading to sexual intimacy.
- Look her in the eyes when you speak to her.
- Say, “I love you” when it isn’t expected.
- Plan something for her – lots of small things and something really BIG.
- Sit on the same side of the table at a restaurant and not just for a better view of the game.
- Find ways to refresh her…send her away for an afternoon, an evening or an entire weekend.
I’m grateful to be reminded once again of the importance of fanning the flames of affection for the wife of my youth.
In what ways are you fanning the flames? What would you add to this list?