Earth Day is April 22nd.
We realize there are many people who go overboard in regards to Earth Day, even worshiping the planet. But there is something to be said for being a good steward of God’s creation. He intended for us to care for the Earth and everything in it. With this in mind, we wanted to provide a list of ideas on how you can celebrate this day with your spouse in a special way:
1. Have a romantic picnic using nothing disposable. Use real napkins, plates, silverware and cups/glasses. You could even have an evening picnic using a kerosene lantern to light the night.
2. Go out for dinner using public transportation or a bicycle to get there. Not only will you be reducing the amount of gas used, but you’ll get to spend the time talking too.
3. Choose your favorite place on Earth and plan a date night around this location. Select your food, decor, background music and entertainment in light of this location and see what a memory you can make together.
4. Select one of the many DVD’s from the Planet Earth series to enjoy together. For Blu-Ray click here.
5. Go birding together to see how many different birds you can identify. Make a contest out of it to see who can find the most. Visit your local Audubon Society and purchase a bird feeder for your backyard.
6. Plan a Garden of Eden date night. Visit a local garden center and pick out a plant to use as a centerpiece for your dinner. Go to a farmer’s market or whole foods market and select fresh food to prepare for dinner together at home. The best part of this date is a quote from Genesis; “they were naked and not ashamed.”
7. Plan a date using the 6 days of creation as your source.
- Day 1 – Light
- Day 2 – Water
- Day 3 – Ocean, Vegetation and the Garden of Eden
- Day 4 – Sun, Moon and Stars
- Day 5 – Fish and Birds
- Day 6 – Land animals, man and then….woman.
Here’s an idea of how you could use all of these: Go to the beach or somewhere nearby to watch the sun rise together. Go fishing in the morning and then visit a local zoo in the afternoon OR you could go on a nature hike and look for your own wildlife, (or make your own. 😉 End the day by making love as if it were your very first time. Imagine how Adam and Eve must have felt the first moment they saw each other. It is the same for us as husband and wife. We have been blessed by God with our mate–so celebrate this gift!
Great list, Debi! #7 caught & tugged at my imagination – it’s my favorite!
Our back yard swamp, field and river is a constant reminder of the earth and its processes. The mosquitoes are eaten by the frogs, the frogs are eaten by the birds and snakes, the snakes are eaten by the birds and cats, and the cats laze on the deck in between depositing half-eaten frogs, snakes and squirrel tails. (yes, really. We’ve been left a squirrel tail. Just the tail.) Katie, our dog, just looks at it all through the sun-room door. We are constantly amazed at how God has arranged everything on this earth. I’m thankful He is in charge!
And He even created the Buzzards to clean up the half-eaten mess. 🙂 The circle of life certainly is amazing. Have a great weekend, Lori!
What a great idea! I think we should date our spouses weekly as much as possible and I agree with the idea of enjoying and taking care of the earth. Lots of fun ideas here.
Salute to the weekly date night! We have practiced this for over 25 years, and what a blessing it has been in our marriage. Thanks for sharing!
I LOVE the idea of using the days of creation as inspration/theme. Some of these ideas sound really cute! I might have to try them 🙂 thanks a lot!!
You’re welcome, Sarah. I esp. like the days of creation too. And we don’t have to limit ourselves to this day only — we can use them all year long.
Great ideas, Debi.
If only we had the time to do some of these this weekend. 🙂 Right, Bonnie?
Right. Bob and I did a date with Mia and Ella though. We took them on Lake Lotus’ Walk with the Birds and Breakfast. Bob and I will get our date tonight. Wish we were doubling with you guys.
These are so sweet… and eco-friendly which I love even more! #1 & #2 are my favorite because they seem the most valuable to remember for the rest of the year! Thanks for sharing! 🙂 And Happy Earth Day to you and yours!
Thank you, Raven. Happy Earth Day to you too!
Love the ideas. Here’ another one. Give your spouse a massage using only natural and organic scented oils. You can get some at this website http://www.bunaturally.com
How fun this is! I’m/we’re not so much into “Earth Day” but the creativity, where you tied in the days of creation and all, are so great! Thanks for sharing your talents with us so we can romance our spouse and not get stuck in doing the same thing over and over and over again. By the way, we put a link from our web site to yours, connecting to this dating idea. LOVE to you and Tom… Cindy Wright from Marriagemissions.com
Thanks for the commendation and the link-up. We appreciate you so much! God bless you richly!!
These are such fantastic ideas! I’ll have to remember them for the next Earth Day. I especially loved #6. And we definitely want to watch Planet Earth together.
You know, you don’t have to wait a year for the next Earth Day to roll around. Plan your own holiday and go for #6. Call it a belated Earth Day Date and have fun. Thanks for commenting.
good thought. I should. thanks.
Pingback: Creative Cheap Dates for You and Your Spouse - Marriage Missions International
Pingback: Jelly Beans, Shakespeare and Haiku, Oh My – Date & Micro Date Ideas for Next Week (April 17- April 23)