In case you hadn’t noticed today is July 11th, commonly referred to as 7-11. There is a convenience store so named because it used to represent the hours the store was opened, 7a – 11p. It also happens to be the birthday of the store, and it’s celebrating 85 years today.
Happy Birthday, 7-11!
Back when convenience stores were a new phenomenon, this was stretching the workday to say the least. Most businesses opened at 9a. and closed at 9p. There’s part of me that loved life then, except when it’s after 9 and I realize I don’t have milk for breakfast! 🙂
Actually, 7-11 got its start by providing milk, bread and eggs to customers from their local ice house. The founder “Uncle Johnny” Green thought it would provide a needed service to their customers. Today, he would be amazed to know 7-11 has over 46,000 stores in over 16 countries.
Back to our date night idea…
Here are the rules:
1. Each of you get $7.11
2. Go to your local 7-11 if you have one, or a nearby convenience store.
3. Spend your money on something for your spouse. It can be food, toys, drinks, magazines. Whatever you think your spouse will enjoy.
4. You can’t add any money to your purchase, and you must leave with only change in your pocket.
5. Meet back home for your date to begin at 7:11p. if possible. If not, make it 11 minutes after whichever hour works best for you.
6. For dinner serve food found in a convenience store: hot pockets, hot dogs, pizza bites, etc.
7. Then, take turns sharing your convenient gifts for your spouse. If they’re all edible, make a meal out of them.
8. Another idea is to make dinner using the three ingredients the original 7-11 stores sold: milk, bread and eggs.
9. Play a trivia game using these Fun Facts of 7-11.
10. Rent a Red Box movie, usually found at all 7-11’s. How convenient!
Treat yourself to a Slurpee–they’re giving them away free today only. You can click the Happy Birthday logo above for details.
Don’t forget our Summer Lovin’ Photo Contest taking place now through Labor Day. For details click here.