Although she isn’t your mother…she is the mother of your children, no easy task! This is a great time to communicate to her how much she means to you. Be sure to include your children on this one, and help them see how a godly husband honors and loves his wife. Here are some easy suggestions:
Give her an “As You Wish” Day, in the fashion of the Princess Bride. When Wesley responded to every request of the Princess, he was saying with every act–I love you!
- Write out on strips of computer paper or index cards what you love about her – have the children do the same (you may have to write for the littlest members of your family), and paste them all over the walls of the bathroom. Draw a hot bath for her, with candles and music and give her an evening bathed in the love of her family.
- Plan a nice evening out or cook a nice meal at home. Either way, give one flower to each child to hold behind their backs. Ask your wife to come in when dinner is ready and present the flowers to her one by one telling her what they love about her. Then, pull out a bouquet of flowers from behind your back saying, “there are numerous reasons why I love you! This bouquet represents the beauty you bring to my life, our family and our home!”
- Give her a day to herself to go to the beach, library or Starbucks – whatever she would enjoy alone for a day. You might even arrange this with her friends. Get together with their husbands to plan a day for them together. This could become an annual tradition!
- Take one chore that she dreads doing and do it for her for a year! Too much? Then try a month. You will speak volumes to her each time she sees this chore completed without her lifting a finger.
- Hallmark has a multi-million dollar business helping us say the things we can’t think of saying ourselves. This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try – make your own card to give her for Mother’s Day. No matter how simple – she will be impressed that you thought enough of her to try!
- Try some of the excellent ideas on this site: Mother’s Day and More.