Thirty years ago today Tom and I were married, but it seems as if we’ve only begun. One of the things I love most about my husband is the way he elevates the priority of our marriage. Our anniversary has always been the highlight of our year and a time for us to give thanks to God for the gift we have in each other.
How do you make an anniversary special? There are countless ways, but you must be flexible in your expectations and willing to work within your budget. The key is to make a memory together. I have recorded each year what we were able to do to celebrate, and I plan to share this list with Tom tonight as we have a romantic dinner at home (oh boy!). Here is a sampling of what we’ve done in the past to make this day our favorite of the year:
- First – Stayed in a friend’s mobile home in Key West for two nights and went deep-sea fishing.
- Third – Went out to eat at a restaurant in downtown Orlando; I was 7 months pregnant.
- Fifth – This year we did nothing; Tracy is two weeks old, but I gladly took a rain check for a more romantic evening.
- Seventh – Tom took me to The Olive Garden restaurant. I was 6 months pregnant.
- Tenth – Tom surprised me by taking a Friday off without me knowing. He arranged for a babysitter for the children. Then, he took me to Cypress Gardens (now LegoLand) for the day and a night away at the Chalet Suzanne (closed in 2014) in Lake Wales, FL. We ate dinner at one of our favorite pizza places, CDB’s, when we were dating.
- Fourteenth – This year we were unable to go away due to Tom’s back surgery and lack of funds. I decided to surprise Tom by having a romantic dinner here in front of our fireplace. I mailed him an invitation telling him to arrive home at 6:30p. My parents watched our children for the night.
- Seventeenth – Tom had to go on a business trip in Tampa, FL, and I was able to go with him. He took me out for dinner to Bern’s Steakhouse. This restaurant is extremely expensive (and we’ve never been back), but the dessert room is worth returning to for a one of a kind romantic experience. Click here for more information!
- Twenty-fourth – Tom surprised me by driving to New Smyrna Beach where we walked on the beach. Then, he cooked a delicious dinner on the grill at Bethune Park. We listened to romantic music while watching the sunset.
We offer this list as a way of helping other couples grow in celebrating the wonderful day that God has given us. May we never make light of this miracle of miracles! God alone is the source of married love and happiness, and He deserves all the credit for the years we have enjoyed.
Happy 30th Anniversary, Tom. I love you with all my heart!