Day Three – A Pair of “Z-Z’s”
The ZZ factor of your bedroom is very important! How well do you sleep at night? Today we’ll focus on beds, linens and sounds.
This is the most challenging part of the week because it requires some investment to do well. The linens, pillows and bedding we have really are the centerpiece of the bedroom. If the covers are frayed and the sheets are torn it effects our ability to relax. If you are able to purchase some new items here are some things we’ve found to boost the ZZ factor of a Sizzling Space:
- 100% cotton sheets with at least 400 thread count. However, be aware that the higher the thread count the thicker the sheets will be. This is good in the winter, but the summer months may make these sheets too hot. We don’t want to sizzle – literally that is! Our favorite set of sheets are made of Lyocell. We purchased ours from the Sleep Number Store in the mall when they went on sale. They aren’t cheap, but once you sleep on them you’ll understand why. These are worth saving for, or even better, adding to your Christmas wish list!
- Pillows – be sure to have the type of pillow best suited for your needs and support. And have lots of them. Nothing invites a good night’s sleep like a bed full of fluffy pillows. And they can make it really fun to play around in too!
- Mattress toppers – we have discovered a down mattress topper that lays on top of your mattress that is unbelievable. It makes you feel as if you’re sleeping on a cloud, but without losing the support of a firm mattress. They sell these as Target or on-line.
- A Good Mattress – if you’re in need of replacing your mattress, but don’t have the money to buy a new one, pray and ask the Lord to provide. I have heard of this kind of need being provided over and over. God loves to meet even our practical needs, but he wants us to ask. We recently purchased a Sleep Number Bed because of Tom’s back problems. He is now sleeping great and waking up without his back hurting. Yea!
- Comforter Set – If it’s been awhile since you’ve replaced your comforter you might want to consider changing it. This is one way to give your room a completely new and refreshing look without changing anything else.
- Clock Radio CD player with Sound Machine – this is a good choice providing several options depending on what you’re using the music for – sleep, romance, waking in the morning.
However, even if you have limited funds there is much you can do with what you already have:
- If your comforter is old and in need of replacing, but you can’t right now – try removing it and using only white sheets on the bed with a decorative table cloth or curtain panel folded in thirds laying across the end of the bed. This is a high end look of some of the finest hotels. (see picture above.)
- Torn sheets – sew up the holes and iron your sheets with spray starch. This will add volume and stiffness to old sheets. Also, buy an inexpensive spray can of linen spray or make your own. Use after you make your bed each morning.
If you have made it this far you are to be congratulated. Your bedroom is greatly increasing its Sizzle Factor. Why not take a relaxing candle-lit bath tonight as your reward. And don’t forget to draw a bath for your spouse too!
Two more days til you complete the Sizzle Your Space challenge.