Why Is a Good Marriage Not Something You Find?

Continuing with our “Why” series, Gary Thomas offers the answer to this question, “Why is a good marriage not something you find, it’s something you cultivate?”

This is so true. If we are consistently working on making our marriages better, then they will drift apart. It is the natural progression of life on this earth. Things don’t get better when left alone, they deteriorate.

So what are you going to do now to make sure your marriage is better this time next year? Purpose to make plans and follow through with those plans. Your spouse will thank you for it, and so will your kids.

This entry was posted in Christian Marriage, Growing Strong Marriages, The Gospel & Marriage and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Why Is a Good Marriage Not Something You Find?

1. Great truth here, Debi. Bob and I certainly have had our marriage on our minds as we go through this season watching what it’s like for our parents. Great post – right to the point.

2. Thank you Debi for your commitment to marriage! It is so true that it must be cultivated and protected!

Our pleasure, Sarah! We are motivated by God to help others in their marriage the way God has used others to help us! We have been so blessed!
      Happy Thanksgiving!

3. Debi, fantastic insight! I’ve always believed that marriage is similar to paddling next to your spouse in different canoes upstream. If either stops paddling…the current (i.e. distractions, cares of life, work…etc) separates you on its own. Awesome reminder!

What a great analogy, Tor. We’ve never heard it, but how apropos! We pray you have a blessed Thanksgiving remembering all God has so wonderfully given you!
      Tom and Debi

4. Scott says:

Absolutely! We have to make many daily choices to cultivate our marriage. It’s often those many many little choices that have the biggest cumulative impact for good.

Same with us Scott. It’s good to hear from you! Happy Thanksgiving to you and Jenny!
      Tom and Debi

5. IAAMM says:

It definitely takes a conscious effort to protect and preserve the marriage. My husband has often told me, “I will protect my marriage even from you” … *sigh* lol

Haha! I don’t think I’ve heard a husband say that before. But how true. Often we’re the worst influence on our relationship when we’re not thinking of our spouse above ourselves.

6. I agree but too often you only see one side that wants to work on it. That is the hard part to try to turn around 😦

7. Jim Kipp says:

OH my this is so true. There really should be classes before people get married

Comments are closed.