I am resolved to be completely present wherever I am.
I’ve realized recently that too often I’m not present mentally, though I may be physically. I am often distracted in the present by the future, which robs me of all God has for me in the here and now. Here are a few examples that maybe you can relate to:
- When I’m home, I’m anticipating the next day at work.
- When I’m traveling for work, I can find myself thinking of things I need to do at home.
- When I’m having my devotional time with the Lord, I can be distracted by my to-do list.
- When our family is over and wanting to play a game, I often disappear into another room to get some “work done.”
- I have even interrupted a date night or two with thoughts about work issues. Debi will ask me a question when I get quiet, “what are you thinking?” It’s then I have to confess, my mind isn’t where it should be.
Making a habit of this keeps me from experiencing the joy God has for me today. I am often restless and unable to completely relax.
I’ve realized that in my attempts to multi-task, I am missing opportunities to fully engage with those I’m currently with. I shared with Debi this afternoon my resolve to be all there, wherever it is I am. She smiled sharing what an answer to prayer it was to hear me say this. I’m happy to say we’ve enjoyed a very relaxing Sunday. I pray this is an indication of the peace and rest God has for me in all the days to come.
How about you? Will you resolve with me to be all there?
♥ Things To Do In Orlando ♥
- Uptown Altamonte – Friday Night Live will take place on March 23rd from 7p – 9p. FREE.
- Sanford – Art Walk on Friday, March 23rd starting at 6p. This month’s theme is “Mixed Media March Madness.” FREE.
- Mt. Dora – Spring Antiques and Craft Show will take place on Saturday and Sunday, March 24th and 25th from 9a. – 5p.
- Eustis – Downtown Cruise-In on Saturday, March 24th from 5p – 9p. come enjoy dinner in historic downtown Eustis while enjoying the classic cars as they parade through town.
- New Smyrna Beach – Seaside Balloon and Sky Fest will be on Friday, March 23rd – Sunday, March 25th. There is a suggested donations of $2.
- Lake Wales – Bok Tower Gardens presents Live at the Gardens Concert Series on Sunday, March 25th from 5p – 7p. Tickets at $25. Performing on the historic Steinway in the intimate setting at Pinewood Estate, pianist Gary Wolf and violinist-violist Matitiahu Braun return after playing to a standing ovation at Pinewood. Both have performed throughout the U.S. and Europe. Wolf is Professor Emeritus at UCF and Artist-in-Residence at Rollins College in Winter Park while Braun teaches violin and viola at Rollins College.
- Clermont – Lakeridge Winery presents their 4th Annual Wine & Seafood Festival on Friday, March 23rd through Sunday, March 25th. Cost is $2. See site for times.
Thanks Tom. I too, am constantly guilty of having my mind on way too many things. I’ve lost a lot of “here and now” time with my kids AND with my beautiful wife.
Conviction from God is a good thing, and I choose to heed that conviction today.
Jason, I’m still working on this one myself. Thanks for joining me!
Ah, back to the old mantra, quality time…
What a great reminder. It reminds me of something I read yesterday on a blog at theholyexperience, “only when we are still, can we hear our lives sing”.
And when we are still we come to know God they way He wants to be known. 🙂
Pingback: Sample Saturday | Homekeeping Adventures