Here we are at the start of a new year and everyone either embraces resolutions or runs from them as fast as they can. I get that. It seems resolutions set us up to fail, especially when what we set out to do is out of our reach, like losing 100 lbs. when we struggle to say no to our favorite treat. Or working out everyday when we haven’t been to the gym once in years.
Resolutions require something before they can succeed and that is a heart that wants to change and a mind willing to join forces to help the heart accomplish what it desires.
Romance is no different. To provide resolutions on romancing your spouse when you have neglected romantic gestures is simply unrealistic. But what if you desire it but your husband isn’t interested? There is help for you to change.
We suggest you start with small acts of kindnesses.
If your husband resists the idea of romance or rolls his eyes thinking it’s corny, we’re pretty sure he’ll enjoy the special attention this challenge will provide.
Below are 20 Romantic Ideas. Do one each week for five months and see if it doesn’t change the climate of your marriage and home.
- Purpose to only encourage your husband and take your complaints to God in prayer.
- Send your husband an encouraging or funny card “just because” to his work address.
- Plan time for him to go do something he has been wanting to do. Make all the arrangements and share it with him a few days before so he can anticipate it.
- Do one thing around the house for a week. Make it something he dreads doing.
- Anticipate his appetite and prepare a treat for him without him asking.
- Pay attention to what your husband says listening for things he wants or needs. Then do what you can to meet it.
- Spend time doing something your husband enjoys.
- Be quick to notice his strengths and express your gratitude for them.
- Compliment him in public – either in front of friends or your children. Make sure it’s sincere.
- Scratch his back or rub his shoulders while watching TV.
- Let him see you naked without him asking. Better yet flash him when he least expects it. 😊
- Organize his closet.
- Have his car detailed.
- Have lunch from a favorite place delivered to his work.
- Send him a text before he leaves work telling him to meet you for a drink somewhere on his commute home.
- Do something to make him smile–this one will vary, but you should know your husband well enough on this one.
- Find a movie on TV that he’s been wanting to see and record it for him. Make a special snack and set him up for a night at the movies.
- Purpose to give him eye-contact when he is talking to you for an entire week.
- Ask him what one thing that you do is of most importance to him, then purpose to make sure it is done consistently.
- Keep his laundry clean and organized.