(Originally posted April 8, 2017)
We’ve had a front row seat to the magnificent ocean off the coast of Mexico all week long. It has been a soothing rhythm providing peace to our souls.
I was praying and God reminded me how much the ocean is like Him:
- He is constant in His love, wave after wave.
- He is powerful, able to fell the mightiest of ships with wind and water alone
- He is merciful, keeping His power reigned in for our sake.
- He is beautiful, providing nourishment to all who enter in.
- He is vast and more than we can fathom, but He is good.
Such Truth that informs my heart!
Emotions can seem much the same for those who are held captive by its torment.
- They can come upon you in waves.
- They can bring you to your knees.
- They can be difficult to reign in.
- They can feed our souls with lies and distortions
- They can be more than we can handle at times.
I have been tossed about on a sea of “emoceans” more than I care to admit. Tormenting and even frightening at times.
This can cause even strong marriages to struggle! A marriage on the brink before an emotional test comes can capsize causing all hope to disappear of ever finding a safe marriage haven.
But there is hope! God in His ocean-sized mercy is greater than our fickle, storm-tossed emoceans. The key is finding the time to talk with each other about the emotions which torment us.
It could be a job change or loss, financial insecurity, difficult children who don’t sleep, hormone fluctuations, etc. or it could be something lacking in your marriage. This type of emotional torment can be the hardest to reign in unless someone you know and trust is willing to help.
The first step is seeing the problem, then second, admitting you need help. There is no need for you to continue tossed about on the sea of emoceans. Jesus calmed the storm tossed sea and He can do the same for your marriage.