WLOQ has been a local favorite for 34 years. It was owned by one family who decided it was time to sell for medical reasons. Orlando’s air waves have lost a comforting voice as well as a supporting friend. They were very active in our community providing great concerts, contests and charity fund raisers. Their on-line radio personalities were kind and well loved. We feel as if we’ve lost a good friend. In essence – we have. Here are the final moments of WLOQ – can you guess the final song they played on air?
(for the answer, press and hold your mouse and scroll here > Louis Armstrong’s, What A Wonderful World.
In addition to this sad news, you may or may not be happy to hear that Elvis is no longer dead. His music lives on 103.1, taking WLOQ’s place. Not being an Elvis lover AT ALL, I see this as only adding insult to injury. WLOQ still broadcasts on-line, but it’s not the same. I am grateful I can listen to it this way, but I miss it in my car. Not to mention the contests I was privileged to win. 🙂 Only time will tell what the new WLOQ will sound like, BUT I’m grateful now more than ever for my ipod.
Enough of my lamenting – there are still great things to do in our beautiful city. Plan something special with your sweetie this week!
♥ FUN DATES TO CELEBRATE ♥
- Book Lover’s Day – we heard recently of some friends who spent the better part of an afternoon with two chairs set in a cool stream while they each enjoyed reading a book together while the cool water rushed over their bare feet. Sounds like a refreshing way to celebrate this day!
- National S’mores Day – cook up some in your own backyard.
- Left-Hander’s Day – If your spouse is left handed, why not celebrate their uniqueness at dinner. Set the table backwards and make place cards written from right to left.
- National Creamsicle Day – Orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream on a stick – yumm-o!
♥ THINGS TO DO IN ORLANDO ♥
- Winter Park – Popcorn Flicks in the Park on Thursday, August 11th. This month’s movie is Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. The movie begins at 8p. and is FREE.
- Maitland – Lake Lily Truck Pod Cafe – Every Tuesday night a group of several Food Trucks gather at beautiful Lake Lily Park to offer their delicious food for an evening picnic. The food truck variety usually includes: Yum Yum Cupcake Truck, The Crooked Spoon, Big Wheel Provisions, Korean BBQ Taco Truck, Tree House Truck, Red Eye BBQ and Mr Twistee. August 9th from 6p – 9p. Bring a blanket and chairs as tables are scarce and go quickly.
- Orlando – The Boheme Restaurant at the Grand Bohemian Hotel provides great jazz music 7 nights a week. Check out their schedule and times.
- Sanford – Alive After Five will take place on Thursday, August 11th from 5p – 9p. The cost is $5, which includes food and drinks as well as live entertainment.
- Mt. Dora – 2nd Friday in the Park on August 12th there will be a FREE outdoor movie in Donnelly Park. The movie is The Game Plan and begins at dusk.
- Titusville – Titusville Playhouse presents The Sound of Music. See site for prices, dates and times. Through August 14th.
- St. Cloud – Movie at the Lakefront on Friday, August 12th beginning at sunset. This month’s movie is Rango. FREE.