A Fragrant Aroma – Our Naked Date Night

We did it. This has been on our minds to do for a long time and last night it happened.

As we were getting out of the car, Tom said, “I’m leaving mine here, and I want you to leave yours here too.”

“Really? You really are going to do this?”

“Yep!”

What was it we left in the car? I can assure you it wasn’t our clothes. Yet we still felt naked.

We left our cell phones, and it was the best date night we’ve had in a long time.

Three times Tom went to “look up something” while we talked, but there was nothing in his pocket to use. It was a night full of conversation and even – dancing! The band playing was thedownbeatband.com, and they were amazing. When they started to play Gato Barbieri‘s song, Europa, we knew we had to dance. It is one of our all-time favorites!

What made tonight even more special was the completion of a project I’ve been working on for over 10 years. Tom called this afternoon to check on me, and the first words out of my mouth were, “I’ve finished!”

“What?!” He said, “You really finished? Well, then we’re celebrating tonight! Be ready when I get home.”

I love this about Tom. He finds as much joy, if not more joy in my accomplishments. And he wasn’t happy because he wouldn’t have to hear me lament anymore about “not finishing.” He was genuinely happy because he believes in my project. He is my biggest fan, and I love him so much.

Have you ever had a naked date night? You might want to try it. It was quite freeing! 😉

Face it, marriage is hard work. But when cultivated daily the fruit produced will satisfy for a lifetime. We're here to help with ideas and encouragement along the way. Having been married 36 years and counting, we share what we've learned with practical tips, Biblical Truths, Date night ideas to help you plow your own vineyard for God's glory.
This entry was posted in A Fragrant Aroma, Celebrations, Date Night Ideas, Dating Your Spouse. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to A Fragrant Aroma – Our Naked Date Night

1. Danielle says:

Love this!

I’ve never been a big fan of the smart phones…I had the same plain cell phone for about 5 years and just got a new one because the battery in my old one was dying. And my “new” one was a family members old one. My husband recently sold his iphone and went back to a ‘regular cell’; the folks at the cellphone store thought he was really strange, but I’m so proud of him! We are working on getting back to the simpler times…enjoying the simple things in life and taking a step back from this technology-crazed era.

Glad you guys enjoyed a cellphone-free date night 🙂

Thanks, Danielle. It was all Tom’s idea, which is pretty amazing because he’s the one who’s most addicted. Yeah, it was a great date!

2. patricia says:

I think it takes awareness of how well one lived without these gadgets that the consumption society wants us to belive they are needs. It is importnat to focus on our values like love and joy rather than finding substitutes in electronic gadgets…
    Thanks for this post, great info shared!

Patricia, You’re so right. Especially the younger married couples – they don’t remember life without all the gadgets. It’s good to be able to say NO to even the good things in our lives from time to time. Thanks for commenting!

3. You certainly got our attention here. Too bad Bob and I didn’t realize you were talking about cell phones. It was quite an embarassing night! Just joking of course, but it was the perfect night to go “without” for you both as you celebrated this enormous achievement. Congratulations and love you, from your second biggest fan.

Haha – you are too funny Bonnie! We are both grossing our kids out about now. Isn’t it fun? Thanks for being my second biggest fan. I’m yours too!

4. Sharon O says:

I love it. Tonight we are going out and celebrating our 38th anniversary. No phones. No granchildren (last night we babysat on our actual date on the 3rd), we will enjoy dinner and a quiet evening together and it will be good.

5. My husband and I always have Friday night date night. Tonight I can’t wait to tell him we’re going naked! LOL

6. Debi, that’s a fantastic idea! I’ll leave my blackberry but my wife will have to leave her iPad at home – she lugs that everywhere. I think it’s because she has 15 different “Words With Friends” games going on at any given time….

I love your wife already!!! I am addicted to Words With Friends too. Maybe we could start up a game. LOL! Thanks for sharing!
      Debi