Tom and I have been blessed to be a part of a church since it’s inception in 1985. We have “grown up”, so to speak, with many of the same people who were there with us on that Sunday nearly 3 decades ago.
We have talked about marriage issues; we have talked about parenting issues; we have cried over unwise choices–ours and our children’s. We have learned much through trial and error, and each lesson took us closer to wisdom. This is how God trains us. He doesn’t remove the trouble, but He walks with us through it teaching us as we go. Sometimes the instruction comes through His Word and sometime the instruction comes through friends.
How grateful we are for the friends who have imparted wisdom into our marriage. I don’t know where we would be today if it weren’t for friends who were willing to speak into our lives right when we needed it. It is a gift one should seek diligently–to know and be known by other Godly couples you respect.
Here are a few nuggets of wisdom we’ve heard, witnessed and embraced:
- Hearing an older husband say to his wife (dear friends), “Honey, you’re all the woman I’ll ever need.” This comment taught us the importance of romance and encouragement no matter how long you’ve been married.
- Hearing our pastor stress over and over the importance of regular date nights. Not only did he say this, but he and his wife modeled it for us year after year. (They just celebrated 40 years together.)
- Hearing our pastor share the benefits of being completely honest with his wife and encouraging us to do the same.
- Before we were married, Tom observed how the parents of a friend purposed to go to bed together every night.
- Going through Money, Possession and Eternity as a church years ago (another kudos to our pastor) and walking together with friends through years of living below our means, to finally be at a place of debt-free living.
I know there are lots more, but these are the key nuggets that have come to our mind. What words of wisdom have your friends shared with you that have made a lasting mark on your marriage?