If you didn’t know, we live in Orlando, FL. For days all eyes have been on the forecast track of what has been declared the strongest Atlantic basin hurricane ever produced.
She is strong. She is determined. She is moving forward without hesitation, and she doesn’t care what or who she destroys along the way. She is formidable in every sense of the word.
Weather mirrors our emotions. When we feel good we may say the sun is shining. When we feel sick we often say we’re under the weather. When angry, a storm is brewing and you had better take cover.
Following are five things Irma is teaching me about marriage:
- Take seriously when a storm is imminent. Ignoring the warnings doesn’t make the threat go away. It’s like hunkering down in a house built on sand.
- Store up goods before the storm arrives. We may not be able to avoid storms in our marriage, but if we do our part to make sure our marriage is strong we will be more capable of enduring the worst of times together.
- It’s best not to be alone during a storm. How true in marriage as well. We need each other the most when things are difficult. Sadly, many pull away from each other which only increases the possible damage suffered.
- Wait. Sometimes all you can do when facing a storm is to wait for it to pass. Once it is over, you can assess the damage incurred together.
- Realize you’re not the only one going through it. Be aware of those around you who may need a word of encouragement or a helping hand. We have found that not being so self-focused on our own situation, lifts our eyes from our trouble making it not seem as bad.
Wouldn’t it be great to hear said about you and your marriage as was said about Irma above…
Meet Mr. and Mrs. _________. They are strong. They are determined. They are moving forward without hesitation. And they don’t allow any obstacles to stop them. Their love is formidable!
Last week we began praying for Texas as they suffered horrific floods wrought by Harvey. This week it’s Florida.
Tom has been busy prepping the outside of our home. I have been busy prepping inside. This is all we can do at this point. We are concerned and prepared, but not afraid. We know that God is in control of all of creation, including powerful hurricanes! We covet your prayers and promise to keep you informed through Twitter, Instagram and Facebook as we are able.
Grateful to God for His power on display through His creation and even more so for His sovereignty.