A Fragrant Aroma – Not Again!

Tonight (Thursday), I was working on this post when I noticed through the corner of my eye, movement in my eucalyptus stems.  I had placed them a while ago in a glass vase next to my monitor for decoration.  The thing is – these stems are dead.  Movement within the stems is unexpected, so it naturally caught my eye.  I focused in on the stems and saw what I hoped I wouldn’t see.  I hate to even put it into this post.  It was a roach!  Ugh!!!

Yes, I hate them.  I’ve grown up in Florida and have a tremendous hatred for the flying, disgusting insects.  I have been chased by them more times than I care to remember.

When Tom and I were first married he discovered my fear of them and vowed to help me overcome this “phobia.”  🙂  He meant well, but I knew there would never be a peace agreement between us.  I wasn’t willing, even though they were always intent on seeking me out!  I wanted them not only dead, but out of my sight altogether.  Dead or alive I couldn’t stand to have them near me.

So, 32 years later how did this evening end?  I was curled up on the couch waiting for Tom to find the intruder and kill him.  It took a while – using bug spray and a flashlight.  But finally I heard the words I longed to hear – all’s clear.  You can finish your post!  Which translated means, I’ve killed the sucker and his carcass has been taken out of the house.  You are S.A.F.E.

Ah! Tom has learned how to care for me in what could seem to him quite silly.  I don’t know why I am afraid of these bugs the way I am, but I’m thankful I have a husband who is willing to go the extra mile for me to rid our home of these unwelcome intruders.

In what ways does your spouse care for you like this?  How do they help you when you are facing something that makes you afraid?  How do you help your spouse when they are afraid?

NOTE:  There are no pictures in this post for obvious reasons.

Face it, marriage is hard work. But when cultivated daily the fruit produced will satisfy for a lifetime. We're here to help with ideas and encouragement along the way. Having been married 40 years and counting, we share what we've learned with practical tips, Biblical Truths, Date night ideas to help you plow your own vineyard for God's glory.
This entry was posted in A Fragrant Aroma. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to A Fragrant Aroma – Not Again!

1. They are also my most hated insect. Thanks for NOT including a photo!!

2. Lori says:

Yup. I’m with ya. Creepy crawlies DO NOT belong in the house!

My very own ‘warrior’ handles all the spiders in my space… they’re my phobia. One needed killing within moments of returning home from holidays and Rob came running at my scream and slayed that 8-legged monster. (my hero!)

3. Sharon O says:

My husband is another spider warrior. Not long ago as he was sleeping soundly I walked up our stairs and found a very large spider at a low position which is always good news, I promptly walked into to the room where my hubby was sleeping and woke him up. “honey there is a spider” he woke up groggy to kill the dreadful beast and even HE said “WOW that was a big one.” My hero too. It was the biggest I have seen in our home I almost wondered which country it come from. From now on I am on the look out.

• Ali Bierman says:

I used to need someone to kill spiders for me. Then I moved to the country where my home was overrun by every kind, shape and size of spider that lives in Southwest Idaho–no exaggeration. The first year I caught them and threw them out. duh–they came back in. The second year two poisonous varieties bit me repeatedly while I slept., I was sick and in pain for 8 months until an angel healing. Still, two years later, my hands are numb (which is my excuse for typos). SPiders may eat other insects but I am not an insect and talking with them did no good.

4. Ali Bierman says:

In my home I am not sure if I would have just caught it and thrown it out. Probably. I do not like killing anything, I think, what IF I was an insect and I saw that big shoe coming down on me. While walking outdoors today I came upon a roach-like bug struggling, on its back, on the sidewalk. If I walked by it would have died.
    I sensed its spirit calling to me. (I am very in tune with Nature and what we do not see.) I took a blade of grass and offered it so the bug could grab it.,it was pretty weak so it took a few tries to grasp it securely enough for me to move it over to the grass. AS I gently released it in the grass i could feel a thank you.
    Now maybe you will never read another of my posts after sharing that. Hey, that is who I am and as for the bug, we just don’t know who that bug may have been, do we?

5. Anonymous says:

Ugh…they are so gross…I can’t handle it either. I am so fortunate to have a husband who can deal with these creatures as well!!! 🙂 He calls it “job security!” 🙂

6. Annie says:

I do not have to deal with roaches where I live (thankfully because I REALLY hate them!!!) but….I am so afraid of moths! I know it sounds crazy! I would rather kill the enornous flesh eating spiders that show themselves on occasion (hate them too but I know they don’t fly!!). My husband will catch the moths in his hand (so cool in and of itself! He catches them out of the air when they are flying! So amazing!) and then he takes them outside. I just say kill them but he doesn’t like to do that 🙂 Anyway, so blessed to have the man GOD created just for me!

7. Pingback: Sharing Musts For A Healthy Marriage 5 | The Romantic Vineyard

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s