Valentine’s Day. Many people roll their eyes just thinking of it. You may think it hokey. You may think it a gimmick instigated by the card and chocolate industries to get you to part with your money. But what if you chose instead to use this holiday to help you express your love to your spouse in a fun and creative way?
Introducing our Top 12 Romantic Valentine Ideas just in time for you to plan this year and make it special.
1. Plan a romantic dinner at home. Do it after the kids are in bed. If your kids are older, set up a nice table in your bedroom if you have the space. This allows you to enjoy a quiet meal together even if everyone is still awake.
2. Watch a romantic concert on TV. One of our all-time favorites is Jim Brickman’s My Romance. I rearranged our living room furniture so that the loveseat was right in front of our TV. It gave the feel of a front row seat at the concert. Find an artist you both enjoy and look for DVD’s of live concerts. It is a great way to spend an evening together at home.
3. If the weather is nice where you live, plan an evening picnic under the stars. This can be just dessert and coffee, or go all out with a full dinner basket.
4. Buy an inexpensive jigsaw puzzle with no more than 100 pieces. On the back of some pieces write numbers that represent certain prizes earned when you find where that piece fits. Ideas include: Do one of your chores for a week, back rub, activity of their choice on next date, make love when, where and how you want, dessert of your choice, etc… Make it more fun by numbering the puzzle pieces that coincide with a list, so you don’t know what you won until the puzzle is finished.
5. Learn something new together using how-to videos on You Tube. Examples: Swing Dancing, Pizza making, Line Dancing, etc. Or watch funny video clips to make each other laugh.
6. Play Win or Dare Putt-Putt.
7. Have a photo shoot together. You can make this silly or sexy. The important thing is to have fun. Gather different outfits and props to use to make it even more creative.
8. Make a playlist of your favorite love songs and slow dance together. Turn the lights down and light a few candles to make it romantic. As a challenge see if you can look each other in the eyes for one entire song as you listen to the words. We did this once to the song, You Must Love Me, by Madonna. It is such a special memory for both of us.
9. Make this day and No Techie Day. Put away your devices and talk. Read aloud to each other from books you both enjoy.
10. Have your own video game tournament. If one of you is better than the other, make a handicap for the stronger player, like using only their weaker hand.
11. Use washable markers to draw tattoos on each other where no one else can see.
12. Buy a bouquet of flowers to give your wife a message using the meanings of flowers as your guide.
We encourage you to make the most of every opportunity you have together. We never know how many memories we will get to make in this life. Let’s not waste a single opportunity to connect and express our love.
This is our second post for our National Marriage Week Challenge to post each day leading up to Valentine’s Day. #NationalMarriageWeek2019
Pingback: Romantic Gestures - Keep Doing Them - Marriage Missions International
Pingback: Valentines Day and Beyond - Marriage Missions International